Fifth Church is located within one of the most vibrant areas of Indianapolis known as Broad Ripple Village. Sitting on a prominent corner, it is settled in an energetic community of shops, restaurants, and small businesses.
There is a sense of longevity here at Fifth, and since the early 2000’s, we have undergone several large restoration projects on our 1935 Indiana limestone building. The architecture is known as Norman style or English Romanesque, utilizing simple arches, a tower, and rose windows.
We held a public dedication recital for our renovated pipe organ.
The project provided for a new digital console, the addition of exposed Principle pipes on the platform, and the re-working of existing pipes
inside the pipe chamber.
We recently renovated our landscape with fresh shrubs and perennials, and it has become an inspiring place to pause for walkers and passing cars. We often hear the words, “Thank you so much for doing this”!
Our members and attendees come from a variety of backgrounds and professions, including business, education, engineering, the arts, and technology –nearly every walk of life. And several languages are spoken, including German, Japanese, French and Lingala.
- Maintaining our public Christian Science Reading Room
- Christian Science Lecture held annually for the public
- Member of Broad Ripple Village Association
- Donate to Wheeler Mission
- Support for Christian Science summer camps
- Annual community Christmas Concert
An Historical Sketch
Fifth Church of Christ, Scientist, Indianapolis, Indiana was organized in early 1931. A room over a grocery store at 61st Street and College Avenue was rented and in March 1931, the first Sunday service was held.
In July 1933, three lots were purchased on College Avenue at 62nd Street. Late in 1934, the current edifice was built, completely furnished with everything necessary to hold services—including air conditioning.
The cornerstone was laid on May 25, 1935 and on September 8 the first service was held. Dedication services were held in the church edifice on Sunday December 4, 1949, with three identical services in the morning, afternoon, and evening.